4.12.2010

Pressing "re-start"

A few times in life we are allowed to press the "re-start" button: high school, college, graduation, new job, next job, moving to Cambodia (if applicable), and so on.  Sometimes we're conscious and exercise our finger before we push, other times it's pushed for us. I haven't quite decided if I'm the one pushing the button or if some other force is pushing it for me this time around.  All I know is that the signs are there...

1.  Upcoming Trip(s) -- always provide a time for reading and reflection, generating new ideas, etc.
2.  Dwindling bank account--  expedient need to replace funds and a sense of urgency to acquire full-benefits including vision care.
3.  I've had my hair-colored (this time by a Japanese stylist who promised me he'd try his very best at highlighting my roots, but that he was "only human" and might miss a few strands). It took 3-hours.
4.  20+ hours of transatlantic flights-- also time for reflection, getting to know a new airport (Incheon, Souel), terrible in-flight movies, and undergoing emotional turbulence as waves of excitement and dread cause me to grip my arm-rests and pace the aisle.
5.  Spring Cleaning (lots of washing and re-washing of backpacking backpacks, trekking shoes, and donating randomly acquired items to the cleaner (including a full-set of dish-ware I never used).
6.  Incredible need to really work-out again (since knee/hamstring injury in Dec. I've yet to run more than 10 min. w/out experiencing pain)-- perfect opportunity to try out swimming-biking biathalons and windsurfing.
7.  Acquisition of new shoes (blue leather-straps flat sandaled shoes-- $15).
8.  Meditation willing the perfect next job to be thrown into my lap. (Actually I haven't had time for this one yet)-- visions of me at Starbucks (wearing all black and green apron) occasionally pop into my head.
9. The Economist (reading withdrawal)--> led to an hour spent standing at Monument Books, browsing the job ads, reading about the upcoming new state of South Sudan and spilled over onto this week's TIME issue.
10. That feeling...

1 comment:

  1. YES. I love the way you talk about pressing the restart button (or happening into someone else pushing it for us) ... says I from La Paz, at the beginning of a four week trip around Bolivia. I feel like I'm finally getting back to my Spanish-speaking roots (and oh, yeah, getting around to using those Spanish studies Notre Dame charged so much for).

    Meli, good luck wrapping up your present life in Cambodia and thanks again for unloading some information to those friends of mine volunteering there soon. Let me know if you make it out to Seattle any time this year! :)

    ReplyDelete